Saturday, January 9, 2010

Popular Culture

Grey’s Anatomy



      Grey’s Anatomy is an American medical drama television series. It is very popular in America. There are many seasons and episodes. And every episode which has different themes is related to the previous or the next one. At the beginning of each episode, there will be a narration which is made by the opening voiceover. That way can make audience have a better idea to know what the plot will go on. By the way, in the end of each episode, there will be also a closing voiceover to make a conclusion.


     Actually, this is not the first time to watch this TV series. But I just watched the first season on my second grade. And when I first watched this show, I was captivated by its plots deeply. And also, I like the voice of the voiceover very much. I think her voice has a magic power which can easily take me into the story. Moreover, I never feel bored when I watch this show because there are some unexpected plot twists in some episodes. And then I will look forward to watching them next time. By the way, I never get sick of seeing this show, because they don’t use many difficult medical words or show many disgusting scenes. But sometimes I cannot grab their words if I have a distraction. Their speaking speeds are so quick that I cannot catch up with.



     This story talks about the five people who just get into Seattle Grace Hospital to be the interns. How they improve themselves to get the certificates of surgery in the painful, tiring and contradictory practical training? Hospital is a special place where the people will be born and dead. They have to suffer the shocks of the separation between loved ones in life or death everyday. I cannot imagine how they can stand to work at that place. If I were them, I would totally give up.


       In this television series, I like Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo) most. She is beautiful and intelligence. Her smile and voice are charming. No one can resist her. She is self-respect, but when she meets her love, she spontaneously reveals her weakness. I think the factor is her family background. She has a mother whose fame spreads far and near, so she cannot rashly show her helpless. She just can disguise that she is alright. But when she meets her Mr. Right, something is changed. She can rely on a man. That’s Derek Shepherd (Patrick Dempsey). Although they experience some sort of crisis in their relationship, they all solve the problems hand in hand. I think love is a way to change her personality.



       And for me, the most impressive scene in this show is on Season 5, Episode 23: "Here's to the Future." That is a conversation between Izzie Stevens and George O'Malley. And on this episode, Izzie hesitates that whether she should have the surgery or just takes a risk to destroy herself. Here is the conversation:


George: Izzie! You paged me, are you ok?

Izzie: No, I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should have the surgery. I think I'm gonna die either  way. You gotta tell me what to do.

George: You know what to do.

Izzie: No I don't. I don't.

George: Yes, you do. You're just scared to do it. This back and forth is just fear. You've already made the decision. You made it. You made it the second you decided to fight this thing. Just look, look where you started. Look where you are now. I mean, now you're this incredible surgeon, and teacher. You're a doer, remember? You know exactly what you have to do.




      I think George’s word is very meaningful. And this may be one of the most famous sayings in this show. From this conversation, you can generalize a conclusion:when people hesitate or struggle for something, they often don’t know what course to follow or to take. The feeling of being tormenting with disease internally and externally is kind of living in the hell. But when you hesitate, that signifies that you have already made the decision. What a great irony is.


By 96540347 Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment